What is A Sandpaper and Why Would We Need It?
Sandpapers are a kind of coated abrasive sheet of paper, where you will find abrasive material glued on one side. They come in a number of sizes, lengths, materials and of course applications.
Mostly, people who work with wooden workpieces, furniture, metal plates, plastics, fiberglass, and similar hard surfaces need sandpaper. The kind of uses you can make with sandpaper is sanding, furbishing, varnishing, smoothening, finishing and so on.
However, here is a list of works that are mostly done with help of sandpapers-
- To remove rust from the surface of metal tools.
- Prepare a wooden surface for painting.
- Smoothening and removing grains and splinters from woods.
- Removing grout stain from floor or bathroom.
- To polish metal surfaces and to smoothen them.
- To make materials rougher than how much they are.
- Making artworks, specially mixed-media arts.
Tips for Sanding Wood
We are assuming that you will be ending up soon with right sandpaper in hand. Taking that for granted, here are some user’s tips to maximize the quality of your work-
- Use your coarse paper with the right sanding tools. There are a number of options available in this regard. Among the usually used tools, there are belt sanders, bench-mounted sanders, drum sanders, sanding blocks, sanding files etc.
- Choosing the right grit(coarse) level is also another important using tips. There are models that come with 8-10 grit variations in the package. And each of them has different applications. Sometimes, you have to apply different grits on the same product. Be super sure before applying any particular grit paper.
- Cut your paper at the right size. Because that is going to define how smooth you can make the surface with a consistency throughout the wole surface. Most of the models come with a size which can be cut into smaller sizes.
- When you are working in a wet surface, make sure that the sandpaper is able to do that. Although most of our selected picks are able to work on both wet and dry condition, we insist you to double check that before deciding.
What Are The Different Grits For Wood Sandpapers
Sandpapers are of different types of coarse types, and it is measured as grits.
The first and foremost factor when you are up for new sandpaper is, what coarse you want to stick to.
Based on what the grit label is, there are several kinds of them.
Let us give you a hand on each of them-
- The Extra Coarse Papers: There is some ultra low grit label like 24-36 and they are called extra coarse sandpapers. You have to use them to sand ultra delicate surfaces like old floors that need super abrasiveness.
- Coarse Papers: These are used mostly on rough shaping of any workpieces. Also, to remove old finished or paint, these are widely used. In Terms of grit label, they re of 40 to 50 grit.
- Medium Coarse Papers: This is what most of them have to deal with on regular basis. They are of a grit range of 6o to 100. Works like primary sanding, final shaping or any similar works are done well with such papers.
- Fine Papers: The next one to look up is fine papers, which are of 120 to 220 grit. For home workshops where you have to do frequent sanding, this can be the go-to choice of sandpaper.
- Extra Fine Papers: In the end, there are coarse papers like 240 to even 3000, which are termed as pretty fine coarse papers. These superfine sheets are best suited for polishing.
What are the Top Rated Sandpaper Brands For Wood
For every woodworker out there, selecting one particular sandpaper brand to depend on is a hard nut to crack. We’ve made a list of best sandpaper brands of the current market for your consideration-
3M is a massive name around the industry of tools and accessories for not only carpenters and woodworkers, but also for any other kind of handyman. For ages now, they are producing industry standard electric tapes, sandpapers, hand pads, vacuum belts, cartridge assembly, tarnish strips and so on. There are 100s of products on their product line and sandpapers are just a fine example of it.
Although Verones is not a brand primarily for handymen, but it has a satisfying number of products that are in the daily checklist of the workers. The brand’s main product line lies within home improvement and household essentials. Among them all, we would like to mention the glass jars, cereal container, instant pot accessories and finally, the home improvement tools. In the case of sandpapers also, they have a diverse choice of products.
After a couple of multi-linear product manufacturing brands, we’ve got Dura-Gold. The brand is solely focused on producing commercial grade sandpapers throughout a wide variety of quality. The mention-worthy types of sandpapers they make are- longboard roll sandpapers, ultra-fine variety sandpapers, green film, gold sanding discs, no hole sanding discs, hook and loop sanding discs etc.
Comparing to three of the previously noted down sandpaper brands, this one is comparatively new. But the range of product line that they own, is quite impressive comparing to that. Apart from sandpapers, they produce table lamps, clip-on fans, electric cords, portable hard drives, sanding belts, and many more. Their main zone of product is within electronics and computer accessories.
Peachtree Woodworking Supply
Like the name suggests, Peachtree is a brand with products for woodworking and carpentry only. The manufacture products like clamps, bandsaw accessories, abrasives, woodturning tools, glue up accessories, topcoats, and various finishing accessories. The sandpapers that they produce, can also be split into a few kinds.
Which Is The Best Sandpaper?
There are many kind of sandpapers, chosing a particular one is quite difficult and time consuming.
To help you in this task, we tried hundreds of them and compiled a TOP 10 of the best sandpapers for wood from which you can select the one you need.
Different Types Of Woodworking Sandpaper
There are a number of viewpoints through which we can classify sandpapers. But for keeping things simple, we’re only doing that from the viewpoint of material.
The most familiar kind of sandpapers we know is made of aluminum oxide. It’s capable to work with not only wood but also metal, plastic, and drywall.
An impressive fact is, the particles on the surface of this sandpapers break during sanding. As a benefit, you will get freshly new sharp edges for working. They are also pretty long lasting and protective against wet surfaces.
When it comes to hand sanding, garnet made sandpapers any many woodworker’s choices. It’s mainly used to remove light scratches and to prepare the surface for finishing. It also provides breaking and resurfacing while working.
If you need some sandpaper that can work and remove material pretty fast, silicone carbide made sandpapers should be your choice. It can work on wood, plastic and even metal. But a problem with silicone carbide made sandpaper is, they don’t last for so long.
Instead of one hand sanding, if you want to go for both hand sanding, emery made sandpapers can be trusted. It uses coarser grits to take out dust, scratches or paint from the surface. It works mainly in painting removal from various kinds of surfaces.
The last type of sandpaper that we’re talking about is zirconia alumina-based ones. It’s perfect for working on soft surfaces like wood, fiberglass. Sometimes, woodworkers also work on wood with this paper. But we don’t highly recommend that. If your purpose is to remove paint, you can certainly go with Zirconia alumina made papers.
Sandpaper For Wood – Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
Wow, we are finally at the end of this long piece of article. All we have tried to do is to provide 360-degree solutions as long as woodworking sandpapers are concerned. We have kept variations is the material type, size, coarse grades and of course, the price. Hopefully, you can be comfortable to find the best sandpaper for wood from this pile of picks.