Do you want to invest in a re-looking project for your kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom cabinets ?
If your answer is yes, you cannot afford to take chances when choosing cabinet hinges to use.
Here’s what I mean;
Cabinet hinges are crucial pieces of hardware that have the power of making your cabinetry both functional and aesthetically appealing.
They play a crucial role in making it possible to swing doors and open or close them without any hassle. With parades of hinges in the markets that differ in their styles and finishes, choosing the ideal product to use can be nerve-wracking.
The decisions you make will affect the flow and overall look of your home.
It is also worth mentioning that the hardware you choose will determine how long your cabinetry will remain in a pristine state.
Fortunately, we understand that when building cabinets, a lot hinges on the hinges. The quality, functionality, and style of these crucial pieces of hardware have a significant impact on the overall performance of your units; perhaps equally as much influence as your choice of wood and finish.
That said, I have extensive experience in building cabinets and working with hinges in specific.
Therefore, I have come up with a list of the cabinet hinges to help you select a product that is excellent for your needs, preferences, and goals.
- Best Door Hinge Lubricant 2020 : Top 10 Products Reviewed
- The 12 Best Drawer Slides
- Different Types Of Corner Kitchen Cabinet Ideas In 2020
- Top 10 Best Rollers for Painting Cabinets – Reviews 2020
- Top 12 Best Wood Cabinet Cleaners – Pick Efficient One Now!
- Best Under Cabinet Light Reviews: Recommendations For 2020
Our Top Pick of Cabinet Hinges
Are you tired of buying hinges that break easily or do not enhance the curb appeal of your home? Sit back and relax. I’m here to help.
1- MOSILVERON Overlay Cabinet Hinges
“They are ideal for the majority of storage unit dimensions and give them an extra touch of flair”
The first product on our list is the silver moon overlay hinges.
They are semi-concealed and are both fashionable and in high demand for some self-evident reasons.
First, they can give your units an extra touch of flair. They can come in handy if you desire to have some additional details on your cabinetry.
These overlays are made of iron and have a satin nickel finish. They are robust, durable, and provide adequate stability and support. The manufacturers of this brand have supplied hinges in North America for over a decade and take pride in producing top-quality cabinet hardware.
Once you pull the hardware pieces from the package, you will notice that they are not as flat as most products. This is a superb design that helps to ensure the smooth operation of the cabinet doors.
Overlays sit over the cabinet frame. After proper installation, the leaf will lie flat against the surface and creates a self-closing force.
When updating the appearance of your cabinets using overlay hinges, the trick is to get it right during installation. Cabinets are not standard, and you need to ensure that you have the right size of hooks for your unit.
These door hinges measure 70mm (2 ¾ inches) in length, 45mm (1-11/15 inches) in width and have a projection of 19mm ¾.
This makes them the best kitchen cabinet hinges because they are ideal for the majority of storage unit dimensions.
- Semi-concealed door hinges made of iron and satin nickel finish.
- Self-closing mechanism.
- Length 70mm, width 45mm, projection 19mm.
- Door bumpers included.
- 25 pairs (for25 doors).
2- Amerock Overlay Double Demountable Cabinet Hinge.
“The quality of these beautiful overlays is unmatched.”
Are your cabinetry units misaligned or are their doors warped?
These double mounted hinges with clamping plates allow you to fasten your flap on the face frame stile and the door. This makes it possible to address misalignments without having to drill new holes in the walls or doors of your unit.
Because the door hinge is designed to slide into the pre-routed slots, installation is less laborious and time-consuming. You can use this piece of hardware on any cabinet style, including units made of MDF or wood.
The quality of these overlays is unmatched. They are constructed using heavy-duty steel and have a sleek satin nickel finish that gives them an appealing metallic appearance.
Apart from the fact that these door hinges are bound to match your style, their crafting also matches the Builders Hardware Manufacturers Association (BHMA) standards.
Another perk is that the hinges are demountable. If you choose to remove them in the future, your cabinets will not be left with unsightly holes. The clamping action completely rules out the need to use wood screws. If you want to repaint your cabinets, loosen the integrated single screw and gently pull it out.
The tiny, circular door bumpers you get in your package help to cushion the door frame once you have installed the hardware. Just place them in the lower corner of your door to prevent banging when closing it.
- Double Demountable Hinges.
- Self-closing mechanism.
- Made with heavy-duty steel and satin nickel finish.
- Length: 2-1/4 in (57mm), Width – 1-1/2in (38mm), Projection – 5/8in (16mm).
- 10 Pairs (for 10 doors).
3 – AmazonBasics AB-4004 Inset Door Hinge
“The functional and design advantages of great cabinet hinges without sacrificing any storage space”
For the homeowner seeking to reap the functional and design advantages of cabinet hinges without sacrificing any storage space, I think this product would be an excellent fit.
Designed uniquely for Inset cabinets, you install the semi concealed hinge by getting it attached to the internal part of the cabinet door and the interior wall that is adjacent to it.
With this option, part of the door hinge can be seen on the face frame while the rest is hidden. This creates an alluring, clean and smooth appearance.
These vital pieces of hardware are made from a double zinc-alloy and are coated with satin nickel for a sleek, uniform and modern look. The matching screws are also pretty strong, although you need to get your hardwoods pre-drilled for easy installation.
You do not have to spend a fortune to give your cabinets a fresh new look. Sometimes, simply updating the hardware can make all the good difference in their appearance.
The ¾ inset hinges pair nicely with just about any cabinet style or color to create impressive, modern cabinetry aesthetics. Another remarkable benefit you will enjoy is that these door hinges have a self-closing mechanism.
This offers convenience because the doors close on their own. The feature would be particularly advantageous when cooking foods that easily contaminate, such as fish and chicken.
- Double zinc alloy cabinet hinges with a satin nickel finish.
- 100 hinges (for 50 doors).
- Door bump pads included.
- Mounting screws included.
4 – DECOBASICS Face Frame Cabinet Cupboard Door Hinges.
“This high quality piece of hardware can help you get rid of one frustration in your life”
If you want to install new cabinet hinges or replace the old ones for your full face cabinet doors, this is a product I highly recommend. Here is why.
A cabinet door that is functioning properly will open easily and close gently. With this door hinges, you can say goodbye to the nuisance of having to bang shut the units.
This is something that has the power of driving you nuts. Fortunately, this quality piece of hardware can help you get rid of one frustration in your life.
The longevity of these cabinet hinges is unmatched. They are made of quality metal and have a smooth stainless steel finish. The hardware pieces also have inbuilt dampers that give them a safe, slow-close mechanism.
This feature helps to prevent banging and also protects your fingers from the risk of getting squeezed when closing the cabinet doors.
These are the best hinges because they offer superior adjustability. They are adjustable in 3-ways, and this ensures easy installation and creates a smooth 105° degree door opening angle.
Whether you want to update the cabinets in your bathrooms or a kitchen cabinet, these are unbeatable hinges that can make a perfect fit. They come with matching screws and dowels to give your units a flawless and appealing appearance.
- 3-way adjustments to make installation easy.
- Soft close, self-closing mechanism with in-built damper.
- Stainless-steel finish.
- 105° opening capacity.
- 35mm door hinge cup (bore).
- Matching screws Included.
5 – DecoBasics 1/2″ Overlay 3/4″ Frame Partial Semi Wrap Cabinet Hinge
“For homeowners who want their cabinets to have a uniform and well-finished appearance”
Next on our best cabinet door hinges review is the Decobasics 1/2″ overlays.
These are strong, self-closing cabinet hinges that are 2-1/4 in length and have a door hinge pin length of about 1-3/4 inches. They are made from 1.6 mm steel base material, similar to other well-reputed hinge brands.
For homeowners who want their cabinets to have a uniform and well-finished appearance, you get matching door bumpers and wood screws. The silver-tone screws and hinges will give your units a fresh and more modern appearance at half the price you would pay to acquire other well-known brands.
The sturdiness and smooth operation of the hinges is out of question. You, however, need to pre-drill your holes to minimize any chances of the screws stripping. This will be a smart thing to do, especially when working on hardwoods.
The partial wraparound feature helps to enhance the support and stability of the doors. This design comes in handy, especially when the doors you are mounting are heavy.
The cabinet hinge partially wraps around the side of the cabinet and is then held firmly by the door plate.
During installation, attach the face of your door hinge to the back of the door. The other should be wrapped around the face frame of the cabinet and then its interior walls.
Because the hardware joint will be visible from outside the unit, ensure that you choose a finish that blends well with your kitchen or bathroom design.
- Self-closing mechanism.
- Semi wraparound design.
- Measurements: – 2-1/4″ high, 1-3/4″ hinge pin length.
- Steel base material 1.6 mm thick.
- Matching screws included.
- Door bumpers included.
6 – T&B 175° Hinges (Full Overlay)
“T&B hinges are uniquely designed for frameless cabinets”]
Are your cabinets getting squeaky and lubricating the hinges is not providing any solutions? Well, this is a sign that they ought to be replaced.
The T|B hinges are plated with copper core hydraulic nickel and offer a 175° opening angle to allow you more access to your units.
To ensure that these are the right hardware pieces to purchase, affirm that your cabinet doors cover the full face of your unit. If they do, then what you need is a full overlay cabinet hinge. Do note that they do not fit on inset doors
These hardware pieces also go by the name surface mount. To install them, you need to mount the hinge on the inside of your cabinet door and face frame.
The opening capacity of the hardware piece allows the door to swing freely without hitting the frame.
If you feel that the opening capacity is too big, you can always adjust your hinges to form a more appropriate opening angle.
Because it is not necessary to create a mortise before installation, most homeowners can use a DIY approach to get the hinges installed quickly.
When replacing old hinges, it is common to worry about having to modify the original cabinet hinge holes.
Well, this product has a set of horizontal and vertical holes and reduces the odds of having to drill new holes on your unit.
- Designed for frameless cabinet doors.
- Hydraulic cam self-auto close feature.
- Large 175° opening angle.
- Mounting screws included.
7 – DecoBasics Full Overlay Cabinet Hinge
“These hinges are made of quality materials, and you can count on their durability”
Last but not the least on our cabinet hinges review list is the DecoBasics full overlay hinges. They are made of quality materials, and you can count on their durability.
Whether you want to replace the entire kitchen cabinetry or you desire to give them a facelift by changing their hardware, these hinges would be a perfect fit. They work efficiently and even have a soft close mechanism.
These hinges have a full overlay design, and this means they are best for frameless doors. They provide improved accessibility and are an excellent match for tight cabinets and homeowners who wish to save space. The 35mm cabinet cup hinge and opening angle of 105° enables you to access your kitchen storage units easily.
Moreover, you will also get in-built dampers. They serve as a buffer, ensuring that your doors close quietly and safely.
Soft close hinges are slightly different from their self-closing counterparts. In this case, you can always expect the close to be quiet although you are not guaranteed of your unit doors automatically closing themselves.
On the other hand, self-closing hinges will always close the cabinet door entirely, though some noise may be produced.
You need to apply some force when pushing the door closed. However, the soft close mechanism takes over once the cabinet door reaches a specific position. The cabinet hinge then auto glides into a closed position without slamming the door.
Installing your hinges will not be a challenging affair. Thanks to the 3-way adjustments, coupled with the clip-on plate, you can install the hardware pieces easily and quickly. They are excellent to use for DIY projects.
- Premier concealed hinges.
- Full overlay, best for frameless chest doors.
- Soft close mechanism with in-built damper.
- 105° opening angle.
- 35mm hinge cup.
- Matching screws included.
- Stainless-steel finish
What to Consider Before Buying Cabinet Hinges
With so many cabinet hinge types to choose from, how do you choose the best cabinet hinge for your project?
Dive in to find out.
There is a plethora of aspects you must consider for you to make an informed purchase. Among the most crucial factors to keep in mind is your cabinet type and its cabinet door overlay.
The door overlay is the position of the cabinet door in relation to how it opens. Usually, there is a slight difference in the configuration for face frame and frameless cabinets
TYPE 1 – Face Frame Cabinets
These are units with a face frame attached to their face or edges. This means your hinges should be mounted on the face frame.
TYPE 2 – Frameless Cabinets
These are boxes with four sides and as the name suggest, no frameworks. You need to fit your hinges in the interiors of the unit.
Overlay Types for Face Frame Cabinets
- Overlay: When overlay cabinet doors are installed on a face frame cabinet, they cover the opening entirely. They overlap the cabinet case on all sides.
- Inset: The inset doors sit on the same level as the face frames or cabinet sides when they are closed.
- Partial Inset: They slightly overlap the cabinet opening on all sides.
Overlay Types for Frameless Cabinets
- Full Overlay: Full overlay doors cover nearly the entire front edge of cabinetry units. Typically, such overlays are used for the corner units.
- Half Overlay: usually, this type of overlay is installed at the center of a line of cabinets where the doors share one partitioning wall. With a partial overlay hinge, the cabinet door covers part of the partitioning wall by 3/8″ approximately. These are different from the 1/2″ overlays that allow the door to cover the face frame or cabinet face by 1/2″.
- Inset: The inset doors sit on the same level as the front edges of the cabinetry.
Decide If You Want the Cabinet Hinge to Be Visible
Depending on the style of your cabinets, you could choose to use hinges to add detail to the units and give them an artistic flair. Unfortunately, visible hinges can, in some applications, negatively impact the desired outcome.
There are three main types of hinges:
- Concealed Hinges: They are also called cup or European hinges, and are not visible from the outside of the cabinetry when the cabinet door is shut. This hardware type is excellent for minimalist, modern applications where details negatively impact the design.
- Semi-Concealed Hinges: These hinges are partially visible from the outside of the cabinetry units when their doors are closed.
- Exposed Hinges: The hinges are apparent from the outside of the cabinetry units when the doors are shut.
Decide the Opening Angle You Desire
Hinges are created differently in terms of how far they allow the door to open. You must consider the hardware’s degree of opening because while some allow the cabinet door to open at only 90°, others enable them to swing back as much as 270°.
The 270° opening angle hinges are however best for frameless that have full overlay doors.
Choose How the Hinge Should Mount On the Cabinet and Door
The Four Options You Have:
- Surface-Mount Hinge: This type of hook does not need holes to be drilled in the unit or doors. You can mount the piece of hardware on the desired surface.
- Mortised Hinge: To correctly install this type of cabinet hinge, you must drill holes in your cabinet or doors.
- No-Mortise Hinge: This is a surface mount type of hinges that can be screwed directly to the cabinet or doors without having to cut special recesses into the surfaces.
- Wraparound Hinge: This cabinet hinge type has leaves that should wrap around the door edges or cabinet sides during mounting. There are partial wraparound hinges that are ideal for frameless chests and full wraparound hinges that are best for face frame cabinets.
Special Features You Want
- Self-Closing Mechanism: This is a feature that pulls the cabinet door and closes it, any time it is a few inches from a complete closing position.
- Self-Opening Systems: This type of hinge has a mechanism that pushes the door to open when triggered by a push.
- Soft-Close system: The mechanism behind these hinges allows them to close gently when they are a few inches from a shut position.
Finding the best cabinet hinge can be a tricky affair given the vast array of designs and styles in the markets.
You must consider a plethora of aspects, including your cabinet and cabinet door type before choosing the product to purchase. It is also necessary to take note of the unique features of various cabinet hinge types.
For the majorities of average-size doors, all you need are two hinges. However, you should install more hinges when working on heavy or large doors. The idea is to provide the necessary support to enhance the durability and performance of your hardware pieces.